St. Louis Unemployment Attorney
May 11, 2017 Blogroll No Comments

Under Missouri law, when you lose your job through no fault of your own or you leave a job for good cause, you are often entitled to unemployment benefits. This program is funded in part by taxes imposed on employers in the state, whose tax is based on their “experience rate,” which is partially determined by the number of claims made by former employees. In theory, this incentivizes employers to maintain a stable work environment, review claims made by employees, and reduce the unemployment rate.

Of course, no employer wants to see its tax rate go up, so employers often protest benefit claims whenever they believe there is a chance that they will prevail. Fortunately, there are certain things that employees seeking benefits can do to protect their legal rights in this situation.

  • Contact an Attorney Immediately – If it seems like your former employer is going to protest your claim, you should retain legal counsel as soon as you can. Your lawyer will evaluate your case and help you gather evidence in support of your position that you are eligible for benefits.
  • Do NOT contact Your Former Employer Directly – While it may be tempting to call your employer to discuss the matter directly, this is likely to do more harm than good. Any communication you have with your former employer should occur through your attorney.
  • Retain Documentation – If you have any documentation about the way in which you lost your job or problems you had with your work environment, make sure to keep it, as it may help you obtain benefits.

Call the Law Office of Kenneth P. Carp Today to Speak with an Unemployment Attorney

If you recently lost your job, your unemployment benefits may allow you to stay in your home and keep food on your table. For this reason, if you have been denied benefits you believe you are entitled to, you should speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. To schedule a free consultation with attorney Kenneth P. Carp, call our office today at 636-947-3600 or contact us online.

Written by