Young Businessman Lost In Depression Sitting On Ground Street Su
June 23, 2015 Unemployment No Comments

If you lose your job, the first thought you have is likely how you are going to pay your bills. Many people who are suddenly unemployed wish to apply for unemployment benefits and want to begin receiving the weekly checks as soon as possible to limit the hit to their financial situation. So, they get the application, hastily fill out the paperwork, and send it in the to Missouri Division of Employment Security (DES),1 expecting to receive a check in the mail shortly.

Unfortunately, for many people, that check does not come, as the unemployment process can be more complicated than many people believe. The following are some things that occur after you submit your applications:

  • The DES will check to make sure that you meet all eligibility requirements,2 including whether you earned enough wages to qualify. The DES will contact your listed former employer to receive wage statements and other information regarding your employment and your departure.
  • Your employer has the opportunity to dispute your unemployment eligibility. They usually do this by stating that you left your job voluntarily or that you were fired for misconduct.
  • If there is a dispute, the DES will interview you and your employer for more information and make a determination. If you are approved, you may begin receiving benefits. If you are denied, you will have to go through the appeals process to challenge the decision.

Call a skilled unemployment lawyer in St. Louis and St. Charles for help with your case today

The process to obtain unemployment insurance benefits can be long and confusing and you may be worried about how you are going to pay your bills since losing your job. The good news is that an experienced unemployment attorney can guide you through every step of the process and can help make sure that you complete all necessary paperwork and requirements so that you have the best chance of receiving benefits as soon as possible. Additionally, an attorney can advise you on whether you are ineligible for benefits so that you do not end up owing huge amounts of money back to the state. If you need any assistance with unemployment, call the Law Offices of Kenneth P. Carp at 636-947-3600 for a consultation today.



Written by