Leaving your child with someone else while you go to work each day is inherently stressful. When you carefully select a day care provider, you should be able to trust that the provider and its staff members will tend to your child with the utmost of care. Additionally, Missouri laws1 require that child care facilities are properly licensed and comply with all relevant health and safety regulations. Unfortunately, many day care providers fail to maintain the necessary licenses, let potentially dangerous conditions exist on the premises, hire unqualified workers, and other negligent2 actions that may lead to an injury to your child.
Common causes of day care injuries
The following are some of the negligent acts or omissions that commonly lead to serious injuries to children in day care:
- Not having enough caregivers for the number of enrolled children
- Not providing adequate access to food or water as appropriate
- Failing to have first aid equipment
- Hiring individuals with a history of violent behavior, substance abuse, or other mental illness that could put children in danger
- Not adequately supervising the children, allowing altercations between children or for a child to leave the facility alone
- Having dangerous conditions such as sharp objects or access to dangerous items that can cause an injury if a child finds them
- Having conditions that may lead to slips, trips, or falls
- Allowing children to play with toys that are not age-appropriate and may be choking hazards or cause other injuries
- Not having sufficient health and safety policies
- Not supervising children while they swim or participate in other sporting activities
- Having unsanitary conditions in the facility
These are only some examples of negligence that can lead to a child’s injuries at day care. If your child sustains an injury due to the negligence of a day care provider, you have the right to hold the provider accountable for their actions and to receive financial compensation for your child’s injuries and losses.
Kenneth P. Carp is an experienced personal injury lawyer in St. Louis and St. Charles, Missouri who understands how to prove negligence and help injured victims recover financially from the responsible party. Call our office today at 314-380-5496 for a free consultation.